Friday 30 September 2022

Change is Inevitable

September 29, 2022




Change is inevitable. It's what we do with it that matters. 

 

 

Wow! It must be a sign of aging when time just seems to whiz by with no concern for whomever it's passing. lol. Of course, the one trick is to not think of the year in holidays. For example: We have New Years Day, Valentine's Day, Family Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Canada Day, BC Day, Labour Day, Hallowe'en, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve! Whew. Did you feel that? My hair just got whiter. 

Really, I don't mind either way because instead I enjoy doing courses where I am learning something new and interesting plus I like the spiritual classes where I am learning more about myself. I have come to the conclusion that I'm a pretty interesting contribution to my species. I have huge history and have crossed the threshold of a millennium; I have seen things get invented and others get tossed by the wayside. The biggest and most Earth-shattering invention is the "Internet". We never had cell phones, but we did carry our transistor radio's. We didn't have iPad, but we did have pencil and paper. We made lists. And they were dependable. lol. 

Something that happens a lot now though is that people have their attention sucked into the waste land of cell phone mania. They can't seem to put it down and now, if you close your phone, it signals you to pick it back up. It is hypnotic and very unhealthy. I have experienced the feelings around the security of the phone. If I don't have it with me, I think about it like a long lost lover. What the hell is that?! Before phones and electronic messaging, we visited people with open faces, not with faces stuck in our phones and playing games while sitting at the dinner table. Manners now are somewhat different although not that much. It is the utmost in rudeness to be at the dinner table with family (or friends) and be using your phone. You don't need it. You can set it aside until dinner is over. The world will not stop turning if you don't get that text immediately upon arrival. And disrespecting the people who have gathered with you is unfair, unkind, and ignorant. Parents are allowing the kids to do it because it is easier than fighting with them or listening to bad attitudes.  That isn’t good either. Where does that stop then?

 If you do not assert authority now, children grow up to not respect authority anywhere. Do you have bail money? You could need it in the future. That’s not to say all children will go that way but one thing I know for certain is that you will have more well-adjusted teenagers when you teach the child to respect and be respected. Sometimes we need to apologize to our youngers, and it is not a sign of weakness to do so but respect for others and an establishment of boundaries.  I wish you luck, happiness, and calm in raising your children. They are fascinating, hilarious, fun, and frustrating. A budding adult who doesn’t need their phone at the table.

Namaste!

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment